Birthday Gifts

I love my girls birthday, I love celebrating the two little people who can make me angry and filled with joy all within about two seconds. I love celebrating that Grant and I made it through another year of whatever they threw at us without throwing our hands up and waving the white flag and allowing the little monsters to run the house.

It wasn't until recently when I was having a conversation with a co-worker that made me question if our own little family tradition was odd or not. I don't buy my girls birthday gifts and if I do it's something small that they can open on the day of their birthday.

Is that odd? I don't really know how or why I stopped buying them gifts, but reality is it was probably because I spent so much time on their parties that I forgot to buy them a gift one year and when they didn't notice we rolled with it.

We have decided to forgo gifts and invest in a joint party for them. They can invite as many kids as they want, which is usually a lot. They choose the theme, food, activities, etc. We have had superheros flying through the house, princesses sipping tea, a rainbow extravaganza, balloons galore (much to Grant's chagrin) and so many more I can't even think of right now.

Our hope is that they will take their memory of the party and party goers with them and that the event is more important than any plastic gift that they may have received. Now don't get me wrong, they would be heart broken if they didn't receive any gifts, but sorry kids those gifts aren't coming from Mommy and Daddy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Hot

I'm Still Here

He Took It All