Looking Miserable

Did anyone else read the article about how to look younger in your photos? Apparently the key to keeping years off of your face is not to smile in photos. It was so disappointing to read the article.

I think that you would be hard pressed to find a photo of me when I'm not smiling. My theory is, what's the point in taking a photo if it's not a memory you want to keep. Personally, I don't want to keep any memories that aren't smile worthy.

As a kid I remember these creepy family portraits hanging up at my dad's house. They were my great-great-grandparents or something close to it. Looking back on it I should have thought it was cool to have a piece of history, but reality is they scared the living hell out of me. They looked like something you would see in a haunted house where the eyes followed you around the room and they had very stern stares. I'm going to go out on a limb and say these pictures are probably the only ones that still exist of my family members and they looked so miserable. Do you think that's how they wanted us to picture their lives?

Can you tell that I still have nightmares about these portraits.

All of that leads me to, what are we teaching our children of all ages when it comes to documenting our lives? How is it going to look years from now when people look at photos only to be embarrassed by their own faces? Can we say duck lips, bad idea people. Sorry, but anyone who has had this as your profile picture - you looked like an idiot. Why aren't people happy to look happy? Slap a smile on your face, laugh a lot and don't be afraid of the double chins and laugh lines that show up. Look back at your photos a decade from now and remember that day with joy and whatever your new smile looks like.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Hot

He Took It All

I'm Still Here