Remember When...Oh the 90s.

This weekend I got a huge laugh. I was riding my bike to my friends house for reasons that involve me not being able to drive my car home later and at one point this teenage boy in his mom's SUV drove by and yelled, "look at that girl with the big ole butt." No, this is not where I start body shaming myself. I actually laughed because my first thought was, this kid wasn't even alive when all of the awesome 90's butt songs came out. Second thought - it may be dark outside, but hot damn I got a cat call. In reality I laughed so hard I almost fell off of my bike and couldn't wait to laugh with my friends.

All of this comes down to how often do you say "remember when" when referring to your teenage years in the 90s. 

Remember when...

I used to rock those overalls with a tight tank top, no bra and Birkenstock? Am I too old to do that again as long as I throw a bra on? I mean I wouldn't want to scare anyone.

The meaning of "wax on, was off" had no nothing to do with my monthly visit to European Wax Center and the 15 minutes of pain that goes with it? To all you ladies who say that you get used to it, you are full of shit. Two years into it and I almost kicked the poor girl every time.

The meaning of "old" was anyone who was over 30, but now I feel like life is just beginning.

Chokers were the best accessory and now I look at them in discomfort.

Delia's was the best catalogue to get in the mail, folding the pages and circling every item that would make you the cool kid in school. Now, I stash my Pottery Barn and Ballard catalogues until I can sit by the pool without the kids and daydream of the houses they photograph their furniture in. Sometimes I get crazy and order pillows only to get them home and realize these just like all of the others I have ordered are just going to end up as kid launch pads.

Oh and Brad Pitt was the dreamiest and now I look at him and think, damn he has a lot of baggage.

Caboodles - oh yes, the cool kid tackle box. Now, I have a sad little makeup bag in the front seat of my car that I use at the red lights on the way to work. Why waist time in front of the mirror when I can get a 5 minute head start on the traffic. In fact my lunch partner at work made fun of it at work today and all that I could do was shrug my shoulders in a "I don't give a shit" kind of way - working mom life.

I remember the 90s fondly. 

I dressed horribly - we were all victims.
Moved from Florida to Pennsylvania to Arkansas to Tennessee. 
Went off to college - almost failed out of college.
Met my husband - a lot of tequila people.
Fell in love with my independence - almost got me into trouble A LOT.
Met some of the most amazing women in sorority life - Zeta love.

Ahhh - to be a teenager again. What do you remember the most of the 90s?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Hot

I'm Still Here

He Took It All