Mommy Reminders

Yes, we have smart phones that are dinging at us constantly with our to-do lists and reminders, but that's not what I'm thinking about today. I'm talking about the reminders we need as women. The reminders that we are more than a mommy.

We need to remember that before we were a mommy we were young, vibrant, independent smart beauty queens and that's how we became mommys. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

I've been the mom and know plenty of moms who have determined there is no point in putting on anything but yoga pants because it's not like what I look like matters. Hole in my shirt, who cares, it will probably have puke or paint on it by the end of the day anyway. New clothes for me, nah, kids clothes are much cuter anyway.

I've been the mom and know plenty of moms who abandon my own evenings out with friends because I spent the entire day running to 10 different kid activities and now I'm too exhausted to move and put on something other than yoga pants on the weekend - I don't think so.

I'm constantly the mom who foregoes the gym because I want to spend more time with my little monsters and honestly, no one is looking at this body anyway. Does it really matter if I'm ever a size 6? Yah, never going to happen again, I've got the mom bod going on. Wow - that's going to be a future blog post.

So here is what I need along with so many other moms out there. I need that reminder that at one time I was the crazy young woman who was the sorority Social Butterfly who jumped off of bridges in Cancun and made a complete ass of herself just to make other people laugh. I was the one who danced at fraternity parties because I didn't care if people were watching and laughing. I need to remember that that person still lives inside of me.

Here is where I am very fortunate. I am still married to the man who remembers that person, he remembers all of the times he shook his head at me and held his breathe waiting for the outlandish comments that would come out of my mouth. Not only does he remember those things, but he encourages me to get my little reminders of that person too.

Girls nights - they are a must. No, not every weekend, but it is so important to get out of my mommy world. Whether it's a drink by the river with my other mommy friends or a dinner out at a restaurant without a kids menu AND wearing heels.

There are also the crown jewel moments when you go on a girls trip!! Those are my absolute favorite. Sometimes it's just a night or two away somewhere close where you can lounge at the spa during the day and dance until you fall over at night. Other times it's when you get on a plane to a new place and meet up with the ladies who know the "old" you. The ones who you keep up with from a distance and when you see each other it's like you never skipped a beat.

We all need these reminders, we can't deny our place in this world as the women we were before children, before our name changed to mommy.

So plan your trips ladies, apply for those passports, tell your partner that they are on kid duty and enjoy a day or ten being the person you were before Mommy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Hot

I'm Still Here

He Took It All